Are you trying to decide what to wear to Rocky Horror? These quick ideas will help you put together the perfect outfit for your first time!
There aren’t many rules for what to wear to Rocky Horror in terms of appropriate attire. Richard O’Brien’s Rocky Horror Show is an outlandishly wild and provocative performance, with audience participation. This creates the perfect atmosphere to express yourself as much or as little as you’d like.
The most important thing to remember is that it’s okay to be a first-timer, or Rocky Horror virgin, as fans call it. You’ll most likely be acknowledged as one during the show and that’s part of the experience, so embrace it!
Just so you’re not completely caught off guard, this post shares some great ideas for what to wear (and what not to wear) if it’s your first time seeing the Rocky Horror Show. These ideas are a fun and fresh twist on the typical Rocky Horror costumes.
This post is all about what to wear to Rocky Horror.
What To Wear To Rocky Horror Picture Show
1. Preppy / Academia Janet Rocky Horror Costume
Our first look for what to wear to Rocky Horror is college prepster/academia. The two main characters in the Rocky Horror Picture Show are college sweethearts, Brad and Janet. They’re straight-edge, clean-cut, and dress in a preppy, 1970s aesthetic. Shop your closet for the perfect prep/academia look or try vintage stores and thrift shops to find something fun.
Try a full-on Janet Rocky Horror costume with the following pieces:
- Baby pink dress
- White/ivory cardigan
- White/ivory Mary Jane shoes
- White/ivory purse
- White/ivory hair barrettes clipped on each side of the hair, with a middle part
Bring the ultimate vintage vibes with this Vintage Belted Swing Dress from Zapaka. Or go for a modern look and style the baby pink Hadley Cowl Neck Midi Slip Dress from ALLSAINTS or the Floerns Spaghetti Strap Cowl Neck Slip Dress with a fitted t-shirt underneath. Don’t forget to style it with the adorable Dorothy Patent Leather Pump from Schutz.
Swap out the dress with cute separates such as a polo shirt and a pleated skirt, like the Alice Ribbed Contrast Trim Polo from Alexia Admor , or the Slim Fit Stretch Polo Shirt from Polo Ralph Lauren, and the Better Luck Next Time Vegan Pleated Mini Skirt from Lulu’s. Or try a Peter Pan collar blouse with a fit and flare skirt. Add a pink or white waist belt to create shape.
modern-day preppy outfits ideas:
- Style a fitted turtleneck under a sleeveless shift dress.
- 90s schoolgirl look with a short sleeve button-down shirt, sweater vest, pleated skirt, braids, and glasses (try the Cashmere Shrunken Cable-Knit Sweater Vest from J. Crew)
- Librarian look with a sweater set and a belted midi skirt
- White collared shirt, layered with a vest, and a pair of jeans
Go preppy without the pink in the cute Dakotah Dress by Tuckernuck with a Peter Pan collar and cuffs in white cotton poplin. The Pleated Mini Skirt from DKNY has all the grown-up schoolgirl vibes you need for date night and nights out to Rocky Horror.
Regarding footwear, tall boots like the Pointed Toe Over The Knee Boots from Vivaia are always great in the cooler months. Or go with tights and heeled oxfords. Chunky loafers like the Meela Platform Tassel Loafer from Sam Edelman keep the look trendy and modern while you can never go wrong with a classic loafer or ballet flat.
2. Rocky Horror Virgin: Wear Your Halloween Costume
The Rocky Horror Show is typically happening during the month of October, or around Halloween time, making it the perfect opportunity to wear a costume. If you already have a few Halloween parties or a costume you plan to trick-or-treat with the kids in, it’s perfectly acceptable (and welcomed!) for what to wear to Rocky Horror.
Part of the fun of Rocky Horror is the community feel and inclusive atmosphere, and it’s fun to see everyone dressed up and having a wild time. Purchase a costume online or in-store, pull an old costume out of the attic, or do like me and put together something random from the items in your wardrobe.
Related Post: How To Shop Your Closet The Right Way
Here are some ideas for Halloween costumes (whether you’re a Rocky Horror virgin or not):
- Rockstar (e.g. Jimi Hendrix, KISS, Janis Joplin – try the We The Free Jade Cord Flare Jeans)
- Black Dress like Wednesday Addams (This style is made-to-measure by MustHaveCo)
- Gatsby vibes (e.g. 1920s flapper or Downton Abbey aesthetic, like the Sleeveless V-Neck Cocktail Dress from Babebeyond)
- Nun (for those who like irony)
- Biker chic (you can’t go wrong with a little bit of leather)
- Black cat (or similar animal – just requires a jumpsuit or a bodycon shirt and a pair of leggings, with an ear headband and clip-on tail!)
3. Easy Rocky Horror Costumes: French Maid
Another great outfit for what to wear to Rocky Horror is to dress up as a French maid, like Magenta, another character who plays the maid of the castle in the production. A French maid is one of the easy Rock Horror costumes because all you need is a short, black dress and a white apron. Pair black stockings or fishnet tights with platform boots, or lace-up heels. Top the look off with a white maid’s hat and you’re ready!
Try the WAYF Marie Square Neck Mini Dress or go for the Ruffle Sweetheart Neck Fit and Flare Dress from Express. This simple Knitted Fit And Flare Dress from ASOS Design is versatile enough for three-season wear. You can also wear matching black separates to create the same look. Don’t forget your French maid apron. Style with the Capezio Fishnet Tights for a sexy aesthetic.
4. What To Wear To Rocky Horror Show: Band T-Shirt
Since the production is a musical, a great outfit idea for what to wear to Rocky Horror Show is your favorite band t-shirt. A band t-shirt is a perfect choice for any casual night out and you’ll be suited for a relaxed dinner and drinks at a restaurant before or after the show.
Related Post: 15 Perfect Bar Outfits For Your Next Night Out
Style your band t-shirt with a pair of black jeans, leather pants, or a skirt, like the Faux Leather Wrap Ruched Midi Skirt from Micas. You’ll fit right into the musical aesthetic of the evening.
Take things up a notch by rocking a statement jacket, like the Karen Millen Sequin Collared Statement Blazer, the ASOS Design Oversized Sequin Blazer, or the Margeaux Jacket from Line & Dot. Add a top hat, like this Victorian one from Smiffys, which also ties into the characters of the show (and you may even receive some compliments)!
5. Last Minute Rocky Horror Costumes: Stevie Nicks / Boho Aesthetic
Another style you can’t go wrong with for what to wear to Rocky Horror is a boho aesthetic, or Stevie Nicks look. Think free-spirited, gypsy, child of the 70s vibes with drapey, batwing sleeves and flowy sheer scarves. You may have some of these items in your closet, which is perfect for creating last-minute Rocky Horror costumes.
- V-neck blouse with a tiered skirt, like the gothic Chéri Ruffled Tulle Midi Skirt by Anthropologie
- Gothic, lacey black dress, like the Viola Midi Dress from Free People (that you can also layer under for warmth!)
- Sheer tunic, like the Signature Sheer Button-Up Flounce Tunic from DKNY, a pair of black leggings, slouchy heeled boots
- Fitted top, flowy flares, gossamer scarf, or kimono
- Flowy peasant dress like this witchy Sidonie Pleated Maxi Dress from Current Air, and a leather jacket
Top your look off with a pair of over-the-knee leather boots (lace-up style), an embellished top hat or fedora, and a pair of gloves. No boho outfit is complete without a Stevie Nicks-inspired top hat!
6. Basque or Corset Aesthetic
The Rocky Horror Show includes characters in burlesque, so pairing a corset or basque top with a pair of jeans or black pants is a great look for those who don’t want to go all out on a costume. Pair your corset with a black blazer for a sexy (but not overdone) look for what to wear to Rocky Horror. Or try a modern twist by layering a white collared shirt underneath a strapless bustier or corset.
Related Post: Fashion Trends Fall 2023 | Best Styles To Wear Right Now
The gorgeous Bardot Valentina Corset Top is playful and feminine for those who want an actual top (as opposed to a bustier or corset). Lulu’s Alluring Charisma Black Lace Bustier Bodysuit is another cute option for ladies who love black. Or go all out with the House Of CB Mila Underwire Corset Camisole and add the sheer Olympia Bolero from Marcella NYC on top.
7. Day Of The Dead Makeup
For those more into the make-up side of things, a classic ‘Day of the Dead’ look works with any type of casual outfit or costume. Grab some face paint, and get creative with different colors and styles, which are available on Pinterest to try.
And if you’ve never worn face paint before, it’s not that hard. Trust me, coming from someone who doesn’t wear much more than concealer, mascara, and lip gloss a ‘Day of the Dead’ look for what to wear to Rocky Horror is completely achievable.
8. What Not To Wear To Rocky Horror Picture Show
Just because you asked, I’ve included a few, minor pointers about what not to wear to Rocky Horror Picture Show. Many productions state to ‘wear whatever you want’ on their website, so take this list with a grain of salt.
- Suits – These are only worn by those who thought they were booking to see ‘Phantom of the Opera’ and dialed the wrong number
- Trainspotter gear AKA sandals, anoraks, binoculars, etc.
- Striped tops or sweatshirts
- Suede or any material that could get ruined by water (a la audience participation)
Dawning any of these looks will most likely land you in the ‘Rocky Horror virgin‘ category, which most of you will fall into anyway. Remember though, it’s all in good fun!
Enjoy the show!
This post was all about what to wear to Rocky Horror
- What To Wear In October | New York City Edition
- What To Wear To A Concert | Best Concert Outfits For Every Season