Do you want to learn the secret to how to look stylish everyday? This guide will share the exact tips and tricks for how to get dressed every day and always look good.
Most of us can name one woman we know who has mastered how to look stylish everyday. Whenever we see her, she’s always so well put together, from casual affairs to formal events and everything in between.
How does she pull it off? What is her secret? We wonder.
What if I told you the secret to how to look stylish every day is something you can learn, too?
In this post, you will learn my top tips and tricks for pulling off an effortlessly chic look every day, regardless of your budget or whether you follow the latest fashion trends.
This post is all about how to look stylish everyday.
Best Tips To Look Stylish Everyday
1. Dress Up Your Basics To Look Stylish Everday
Basics are essential to every woman’s wardrobe because they are easy, casual, and comfortable to wear. However, basics are not meant to style your outfits. Instead, they’re meant to be styled with.
Basics are akin to the blank canvas of a work of art before it’s painted. The canvas is the foundation of the painting and without it, there’s no painting. Like a basic tank top, it’s a necessity, but it’s completely plain. There’s nothing special or unique about it.
An outfit comprised of a plain white tee, a pair of blue jeans, white sneakers or black ankle boots, and a grey cardigan screams, well, nothing actually. There’s no life or personality to the outfit because every item falls into the “basics” category.
Ideas To Dress Up Your Basics to Look Stylish Everyday:
- Wear t-shirts made with higher quality fabrics such as silk, linen, knits, and cashmere
- Look for t-shirts with interesting details such as trim around the neckline or sleeves, different necklines, or tasteful patterns in the fabric
- Opt for denim in a different wash such as white, ivory, or black instead of the standard blue that everyone else is wearing
- Pair a basic cardigan with a feminine silk button-down or structured collared shirt
- Put on a jacket or blazer to add depth to your outfit
- Elevate your look with a pair of pointed-toe flats, loafers, chunky platforms, or block heels
- Wear a “basic” top and an interesting piece on the bottom or vice-versa (for example, a semi-fitted t-shirt with a skirt or pair of trousers, or classic blue jeans with a patterned silk-chiffon shirt)
The woman in the photograph below nailed it. See how she paired a feminine collared shirt with a basic pair of blue jeans? She looks incredibly stylish and all it took was one article of clothing to get there.
Purchase similar stylish shirts below:
- Gauzy Long Sleeve Button Down – click here – The perfect gauze shirt to dress up or down!
- Nili Lotan Cotton Voile NL Shirt – click here – A step up from gauze, this shirt is luxurious and simplistic!
- Banana Republic Utility Shirt – click here – Relaxed utility shirt in a drapey twill
- Lattelier Asymmetric Shirt with Patch Pockets – click here – Comfortable and polished Tencel shirt!
2. Swap Out Basic T-Shirts For More Stylish Tops
This tip may go against the grain for some. My formula for how to look stylish everyday does not include a basic, white t-shirt (or any basic t-shirt, for that matter) because I think it downgrades an outfit.
If you still love the notion of a t-shirt, here are some great options away from the norm.
Related Post: French Style Tips | 10 Essential Rules To Live By
The key to wearing a t-shirt and looking stylish is to find one in a more luxurious fabric than cotton or modal. As mentioned in the last section silk, linen, knit blends, and cashmere are the best choices for stylish tops. These materials can be worn the same way as the basic white tee, even with athleisure. And, while a basic white tee will downgrade your look, a t-shirt in silk, linen, or knit fabric will upgrade it.
Find perfect stylish tops below:
- Quince Mongolian Cashmere Tee – click here – Find this perfect upscale tee in your favorite color!
- Short Sleeves Round Neck Silk Tee – click here – Sleek, upscale t-shirt to dress up or down!
- Split Neckline Linen Top – click here – Beautiful summer top that can be worn as a longer top or tucked into a skirt!
3. When In Doubt, Belt It Out With Stylish Belts
Rather, belt it in. Adding a belt to your outfit is the perfect way to look stylish everyday because they allow you to temporarily alter the way your clothing fits. Clothes that fit well look more stylish than clothing that gapes, is too loose, or just hangs.
I love belts and wear one most days I go out. Not only does it add visual interest to my look, but it’s also functional. Belts keep your clothing secured when the fit is not perfect. My body is an hourglass shape and I have trouble finding pants that don’t gape at the waistband. A belt solves that problem for me.
Belts Add Shape To Your Figure
Accentuate an hourglass shape (or give the illusion of one) by adding a waistbelt. One of my favorite looks is belting a top with a long skirt (with the shirt tucked into the skirt and the hem hidden by the belt). It adds a bit of edginess to the femininity of the skirt. Try belting a loose-fitting blazer to add an element of coolness.
Lastly, add a belt to your pants to add interest to your look (or hold them up!). Play around with different belt colors to ensure your outfit looks the best. For example, a black belt with black jeans may look best when you have a different-colored top on, while an all-black outfit looks best with a dark brown belt.
Replace cheap fabric belts that come with dresses and coats with waistbelts to elevate your look. This tip has been a game-changer in my wardrobe over the past few years.
Always try a belt on before purchasing to ensure it fits correctly. If you’re buying a belt online, measure your waist or hips and purchase the corresponding size. Adding holes to tighten a belt causes the belt to awkwardly stick out, so avoid this by purchasing the correct size.
Find similar stylish belts below:
- Simple Vegan Leather Skinny Gold Buckle Belt – click here – Minimal and excellent quality
- Lattelier Matte Metal Buckle Belt – click here – Stylish slim belt with gold hardware
- Women’s High Waist Embossed Croco Print Full Grain Leather Fashion Belt – click here – Is it just me or is everything from this shop amazing?!
- Lattelier Kelsey Knot Belt – click here – Slightly edgy waist belt for dresses and blazers!
4. Balance Your Proportions To Look Stylish Everday
There are two key factors to balancing your proportions to look stylish everyday you get dressed.
The first factor is understanding your body type and dressing to complement it. The female body types are primarily based on anatomy and bone structure. The most common female body types are rectangle, hourglass, pear, apple, inverted triangle, and athletic. This article breaks the list down even further and tells you how to measure to figure out your body shape.
For instance, I’m an hourglass, but my shoulders and chest are slightly wider than my hips. I wear styles that accentuate my hourglass shape by cinching my waist. I avoid baggy and boxy tops that hide my shape and shift dresses that cling to my backside. If a cut emphasizes my shoulders, I balance that width by emphasizing my hips.
Measure to figure out your body type and then visit your closet and do a wardrobe try-on. Try on different items of clothing to see what styles flatter your body and what do not. Save this list in your phone so you have it handy when you’re shopping.
The second factor in balancing your proportions is to ensure the fit of each piece of clothing is complementary to your outfit as a whole.
For example, if you’re going to wear a short skirt (knee-length or above), avoid wearing a crop top or low-cut shirt. This outfit would show too much skin and look choppy.
Here are some additional examples of outfit combinations and how to style them:
Skinny Jeans with a Bodycon Top
Since both the top and bottom are fitted, the outfit can look a bit harsh. Soften it up by adding a longer structured jacket or blazer. Avoid stilettos or dainty shoes and go for a block heel or chunky boot.
A Boxy Top With Wide-Leg Pants
The “bagginess” of this look needs some balance. Swap out the boxy top for something more fitted (like a ribbed tee or turtleneck) and tuck it into your pants with a belt.
Oversized Blazer with Slim or sTRAIGHT TROUSERS
If it appears you’re swimming in this look, belt the blazer to add some shape, or belt the pants, push up the sleeves, and keep the blazer open.
Maxi Skirt Or Maxi Dress
Style maxi skirts by adding a semi-fitted or fitted top. If you need outerwear, try adding a shorter, cropped jacket. Belting a maxi skirt is one of my go-to tips to look more stylish.
A Short/Tunic-Length Sweater Dress
Do not belt the sweater dress. It won’t add the shape you’re looking for, so choose a fitted sweater dress if that’s what you want instead. Pair the sweater dress with tights and over-the-knee boots to look ultra-chic.
Take these tips, find your body shape, and perform a wardrobe try-on. Keep experimenting with your clothing to see what styles look the best on you.
Related Post: 7 Amazing Plus Size Style Tips To Look Your Best
5. Skip The Denim Jacket And Pick More Stylish Jackets
I know, apologies in advance. Most of us have owned a jean jacket in our lifetime and a lot of us still do. Wearing a denim jacket brings us back to the nostalgia of our youth. There is certainly a “cuteness” factor about them and unfortunately, that’s my point.
Jean jackets look adorable on babies and children. However, their thick material and boxy shape do nothing to enhance the female body. The fabric hangs awkwardly instead of draping nicely. For these points, I don’t consider them a piece that adds style to an outfit.
GUESS made a fabulously tailored denim jacket in the late 1990s. I owned it in black wash and loved it. I haven’t seen a brand come out with a denim jacket remotely close to that particular style since.
But, I’m not giving up hope.
Fashion always comes back around.
Keep the casual aesthetic by trading in your denim jacket for a blazer in a lightweight fabric such as linen or cotton. A cropped blazer pairs well with skirts and dresses. Blazers are more versatile than denim jackets because they’re naturally elegant and can be dressed up or down.
A lightweight suede or faux-suede jacket is another great option to wear instead of a denim jacket and comes in many different styles. Find a jacket that is cut to a similar length as your old denim jacket and you have the perfect replacement (and a more stylish jacket).
Find similar stylish jackets below:
- Beautiful Faux Leather Open Front Lapel Slim Jacket – click here – I love this style because it combines the upscale qualities of leather with a casual style that can be worn running errands, to a smart casual office, or out to drinks.
- T Tahari Faux Suede Moto Jacket (Plus Size Option) – click here – Cute jacket with pants, skirts, and dresses! The detailing on the shoulders is perfect to draw the eyes up.
- Gentle Herd Belted Faux Leather Jacket – click here – I love how this jacket deviates from the edgy moto style with a more feminine cut, buttons, and a belt to cinch the waist!
- Wilsons Leather Remi Scuba Jacket – click here – Structured suede jacket; a perfect upscale replacement for a denim jacket style
6. Add One Statement Piece To Your Outfit To Look Stylish Everday
A statement piece is an important part of every outfit because it’s the one piece you put on that’s uniquely you and stands out from the rest of the outfit.
Statement pieces can either be an article of clothing or an accessory. That they add a “final layer” to your look, so the entire outfit isn’t too matchy or boring. Statement pieces do not have to be flashy, but they should add interest and detail to your look. You can wear them repeatedly and they become a part of your unique, personal style that others will remember.
These are perfect examples of statement pieces:
- A stunning dress or jumpsuit
- Jewel-toned silk blouses
- Wow pants – check this post for more details!
- A beautiful jacket or blazer
- Leather or suede boots
- Stylish sweaters
- Fancy heels
- Artisan pieces (one-of-a-kind, handmade clothing or accessories) – *my personal favorite style tip*
- Silk or pashmina scarves
- Handbags or clutches
- Fashion hats
Choose one statement piece for each outfit. This way, you’ll look effortlessly classy and chic, without going overboard.
My favorite statement pieces are hats or scarves because they are incredibly versatile. You can wear them with everything!
Find the most stylish hats or scarves below:
- 100% Mulberry Silk Neck Scarf 21″x21″ Small Square Scarf – click here – Some of these patterns look designer for a budget price!
- Tory Burch Carousel Double-Sided Silk Square Scarf – click here – This playful vintage-style scarf is beautiful enough to frame!
- Gigi Pip Raine Wide Brim Fedora – click here – OMG, this wool fedora comes with a stylish paperclip hat chain that wraps around the hat or used as a chin strap!
- Big Wide Brim Women Fedora Hat (budget option) – click here – This is a great budget option that’s still 35% wool for warmth and style
What are your favorite style tips? Comment below.
This Post Was All about How To Look Stylish Everyday
- How To Shop Your Closet The Right Way
- Style Types Fashion | What’s Your Style Personality?
- Fashion Trends Fall 2023 | Best Styles To Wear Right Now