Do you want to know what to wear shopping for clothes? These style tips will help you put together the best shopping outfit for your day out.
There are a lot of things to consider when shopping for clothes and one of the most important is what to wear shopping.
If you’re anything like me, shopping trips are more like half-day or even full-day excursions with 40-minute changing room sessions and meal time taking a back seat. The last thing you want is a shopping outfit that hinders your experience, causing issues such as overheating, a ruined hairstyle, and taking extra time for wardrobe changes.
That’s why I’ve put together these smart tips to make your next clothes shopping trip a breeze. You will learn how to dress when going shopping, what not to wear shopping, and the best outfits to wear shopping.
This post is all about what to wear shopping.
Best Outfits For Shopping
WHat TO Wear When Clothes Shopping?
These items are exactly what to wear to a shopping mall and any time you’re trying on clothes for that matter.
1. Strapless Bra
A strapless bra is practically the bread and butter of a shopping outfit, especially if you’re dress shopping. Not only will this make your clothes try-on more realistic, but you’ll also know if you have the correct strapless bra for an outfit that requires one. Plus, it’s easier to take on and off than a regular bra.
2. Layering Tank
How many times have you been out shopping and needed a tank to layer under a shirt or jacket? This solves that problem. I recommend a layering cami or shell with thin straps in white or ivory. If you’re shopping for a dress code such as smart casual or dressier, satin or silk is your best option.
3. Button-Down Shirt
A button-down shirt is a classic piece to style with when trying on clothes. It also provides a thin layer of warmth when you’re shopping in summer, perfect for a casual shopping outfit. The best thing is that you don’t need to pull it over your head, which could mess up your hair or cause makeup stains.
4. Casual Pants That Pull On
Casual pants are a key component for a winter shopping trip, cool days, or if you’re averse to air conditioning. I prefer something with a relaxed fit, so it’s comfortable and breathable. An elastic waistband or similar is so easy to change into and out of.
Elevated jogger pants in velvet or satin are perfect for casual shopping outfits. Black pants are your best bet because they style with practically everything. Create cute shopping outfits with Ponte-knit flare or bootcut pants for the fall and winter, when temps have dropped. Or try a cropped, wide-leg style for the spring and summer in linen, satin, or a trouser fabric.
5. Thin Dress Socks
While shoe stores typically have a box of peds to use (those little stockings that go over your foot), I always feel icky when trying on boots, sneakers, and other covered shoes without a legitimate pair of socks. Bring a pair in your handbag or shopping tote if they’re not part of your shopping outfit.
6. An Open Cardigan Or Jacket
The perfect outfit to wear shopping is easy to take on and off. A relaxed cardigan or jacket that opens in the middle or has a zipper is the best layer for changing in and out of things. I don’t think this needs any greater explanation than that.
I have to add that a blazer makes the best choice for a casual chic outfit, but an oversized denim jacket or a relaxed bomber jacket are also great options.
7. Slip On, Comfortable Shoes
Who’s worn a classic pair of Doc Martens to the mall shopping? Just me? Okay, maybe it’s just me.
How about high heels? Hopefully not.
I know we’ve all had a few trips to the mall where that cute pair of shoes got the best of us and we spent all our time lacing, pulling, squirming, pushing, or cursing the pain of discomfort.
Case in point. Wear shoes that are easy to take on and off AND that are comfortable. Choose a style that complements the type of clothes you’re trying on. Flats, loafers, slip-on sneakers, or slides are your best bet.
However, if you must wear boots because of the weather, go with an ankle boot that’s easy on/off. If you’re dress shopping for a formal event, bring a pair of heels to try on with long dresses.
8. Crossbody Bag
Hands-free is the way to be when you’re shopping in NYC, at the mall, or anywhere for that matter. Stick to a small to medium-sized handbag so you don’t add too much weight or bulk to your shopping outfit.
Some people prefer to bring a lightweight shopper tote to consolidate their purchases when shopping. I may be old school, but I personally love the excitement of carrying all the different bags and ordering them in a stylish way, so everyone can see.
9. Seamless Full Coverage Panties
Yep, I just said panties in this blog post. It feels more feminine and grown-up than underwear. Who am I kidding, though?! Either way, seamless is perfect for realistic clothes try-on, while full coverage is for your own protection!
Try the Smoothing Comfort Bikini from Quince designed to comfortably stay in place with all the movement you’ll be doing.
Pro-Tip: Bring a hair tie or scrunchy to test shopping clothes with a different hairstyle (or in case your hair gets messy beyond repair).
Shopping Outfits Tips
These tips for shopping outfits for women will help you prevent any mishaps or discomfort during your shopping trip. After all, if you’re shopping with girlfriends or for a new wardrobe, it should be as enjoyable as possible.
- Wear smudge-proof makeup to avoid transfer to clothes (especially ones that you don’t own!). Sorry, skip the lip gloss, ladies.
- Use makeup primer before applying makeup and set your makeup after applying to avoid it running or smudging, too
- Tight-fitting clothes and turtlenecks are cumbersome to get on/off, plus can get stuck, stained, and trap too much heat, so stick to relaxed-fitting clothes instead
- Avoid leggings and skinny jeans that are hard to take on/off
- Avoid hairstyles that are easily ruined with garment changes
- Leave heavy jackets and coats in the trunk of your car; bring a cardigan instead
- Avoid jewelry or keep it lightweight and minimal to avoid it getting caught on fabrics (a tiny pair of hoop earrings and a thin necklace at most; embellished rings, bracelets, and earrings are a no-no)
- Hair clips and claws that will get caught or have to be restyled after each garment try-on
- Avoid wearing shoes that haven’t been broken in (just in case there is a break-in required)
- Avoid wearing white deodorant, so you don’t ruin clothes – I love this clear deodorant for clothes shopping and black outfits.
- If you’re wearing a pullover top or sweater, go for a style with a wide neckline, like a boat neck or scoop neck
- Please shower before heading on your shopping trip-at the very least as a courtesy to others
Shopping Outfits For Women
Based on the information above, here are some of the best shopping outfits to wear out.
- Button-down Shirt + Layering Cami + Pants + Loafers
- Cardigan + Layering Cami + Pants + Ballet Flats
- Cardigan + Button-Down Shirt + Cami + Pants + Flat Boots
- Button-Down Shirt + Blazer + Pants + Loafers
- Cami + Blazer + Cropped Pants + Slides
- Collared Shirt + Oversized Denim Jacket + Pants + Flats
- Cami + Bomber Jacket + Cropped Pants + Ballet Flats
You can go wild with these combinations depending on the weather. A capsule wardrobe can provide an endless amount of options with most of these styles for shopping clothes.
Where’s your favorite location to shop? I love traveling and I’m always looking for new places to spend my well-earned cash. Hehe. Comment below.
This post was all about what to wear shopping