Do you want to know the best fall wardrobe essentials this year? These timeless pieces are easy to add to your existing wardrobe rotation for the cooler weather!
These fall wardrobe essentials are classic pieces you’ll want to invest in and wear year after year. While it’s fun to purchase a brand-new wardrobe each season, it’s also expensive. Investing in timeless fall wardrobe essentials makes transitional dressing easy and cost-effective because you’ll only need to purchase a few accent pieces after you’ve covered this list.
This list of fall wardrobe staples is suitable for all ladies whether you’re looking to refresh a capsule wardrobe or a trendy wardrobe (and anything in between).
This post is all about fall wardrobe essentials.
Best Fall Wardrobe Essentials
1. Leather Jacket
While a leather jacket is versatile enough to be worn year-round, there’s no better time of year than when the days are getting shorter. Style this over t-shirts and knit tops, skirts, dresses, and pants. A classic leather moto style is perfectly edgy for your fall wardrobe essentials, while suede adds softness to an outfit. Just be sure to avoid the rain.
Related Post: What To Wear To A Jazz Concert
- LaMarque Chapin Reversible Leather Bomber Jacket – This reversible bomber jacket is like having two jackets for the price of one; classic on the outside, party on the inside!
- The Jacket Maker Flashback Leather Biker Jacket – Classic moto-style jacket with the option to have made-to-measure for a perfect fit.
- Z Supply Trina Faux Leather Moto Jacket – Minimalist-style moto jacket in vegan leather.
- Skies Are Blue Vegan Leather Moto Jacket – Super sleek and modern cut in supple vegan leather; also comes in a gorgeous teal-green.
2. A Sweater Is The Epitome Of Fall Essentials
It’s always good to have a stylish sweater ready when that first chill hits your skin. Cotton sweaters are fall essentials and breathable enough for that in-between weather. In other words, you won’t get too hot as the temperature warms up throughout the day. Thin cashmere is an excellent choice for an elevated look. Tuck your sweater into trousers, or jeans, or belt it with a midi skirt.
Related Post: What To Wear In 50 Degree Weather | 6 Go-To Looks
- Anine Bing Sydney Sweater – Slouchy roll-neck jumper in a creamy camel, cozy and stylish.
- La Ligne NYC Lean Lines Sweater – Lightweight cashmere crewneck that’s as chic as it is comfortable.
- Maeve The Carys Mock-Neck Sweater – This cozy mock-neck sweater is boxy and perfect for dressing up or down, all season long.
- Gap 24/7 Split-Hem Crewneck Sweater – Chic, striped crewneck with side slits; love the price on this.
3. Neutral-Tone Trousers
Neutral-toned trousers are perfect for fall days as the leaves are changing color. Opt for a moody taupe, brown, camel, gray, navy, or classic black. A straight style gives you the most versatility to dress up for the office, or down with sneakers for fall wardrobe essentials.
Related Post: What To Wear In October | New York City Edition
- Polo Ralph Lauren Straight Leg Wool Blend Pant – Mid-rise pants with a crisp center crease and menswear-inspired details.
- Heidi Merrick Kaolin Trouser – Timeless pleated trouser in a chic 1940s width with a cuffed hem.
- Sophie Rue Classic Trouser in Grey or Black – Comfortable and stylish, with a single pleat at the waist.
- NA-KD High Waist Straight Leg Melange Suit Pants – Simple tailored trousers with a high waist and slant pockets.
4. Loafers Should be On Your Wardrobe Basics Checklist
A covered foot is ideal when it’s chilly outside, so make sure a pair of classic loafers are part of your fall capsule wardrobe essentials this year. Dressed up or down, this timeless shoe is a great replacement for ballet flats as it gets cooler.
- M. Gemi The Sacca Donna – These Italian-style suede loafers are sure to become a favorite, with socks or without!
- Nisolo Everyday Slip On Loafer – A structured, but minimalist-style loafer in vegan leather.
- Chiko Brenda Lee Square Toe Block Heel Loafers – These horse-bit loafers are all the class without the price tag!
- BIRDIES The Vesper – Wears like an elegant slipper, these loafers are lightweight and comfortable to walk in.
5. Dark Bootcut Jeans
Fall is the time to take your boots out of storage, and thus style them under bootcut jeans. Try a bootcut or flared style of jeans to elongate your legs with a pair of heeled ankle boots. Dark denim is the perfect shade to style with a collared shirt and the rest of your fall wardrobe essentials.
Related Post: How To Dress Simple But Stylish | 7 Easy Tips
- GRLFRND Camille High Rise Flared Trouser – The epitome of an elegant flared jean, trouser style, with a bit of a vintage vibe.
- Favorite Daughter The Valentina Super High Rise Mini Bootcut – Retro-style jeans in a classic dark wash that also comes in a petite option.
- Mavi Molly Bootcut Jeans – Curve-hugging stretch denim in a mid-rise cut.
- White House Black Market High-Rise Sculpt Skinny Flare Jeans – Sculpting denim that belongs as much in the smart casual office as it does out on a Saturday night.
6. A Sweater Dress For Every Women’s Fall Wardrobe Essentials
A sweater dress is a versatile piece to last you through winter and early spring. Fall is the time you can get away with just a sweater dress and a pair of tall boots without the whole winter coat, stockings, scarf, etc. getup. Add a lightweight knit to your list of fall wardrobe essentials for the perfect date look, or just because you feel like looking cute!
Related Post: What To Wear For Fall Engagement Photos
- NA-KD V-neck Ribbed Midi Dress – This midi-length rib-knit dress comes in so many colors and is the perfect weight for a fall look!
- Rails Luciana Midi Dress – Slipover ribbed dress with a side slit and a v-neck; great for layering.
- New Look Turtleneck Midi Dress in Ribbed Design – Great budget option in a classic, but sexy rib-knit dress…brown is perfect for fall!
- Lily Silk Classic Turtleneck Cashmere Dress – Short and classic knit dress with a high neck that can be rolled down.
- Good American Stretch Jersey Long Sleeve Midi Dress – If your fall is on the warmer side, this knit jersey dress is the perfect style for those warmer days and cool nights.
7. Tall Boots
Naturally, you need a pair of tall boots to go with your sweater dress, and any remaining skinny jeans you have (I hope you kept a pair, ladies!). Tall boots are seriously the best choice to style with dresses, skirts, and leggings when the air catches a chill. An elevated riding boot is perfect for fall outings to wineries, harvest festivals, and apple picking.
Related Post: What To Wear To A Pumpkin Patch (Besides Flannel)
- Anine Bing Kari Riding Boot – This minimalist style just screams quiet luxury.
- Banana Republic Cheval Leather Riding Boot – Utra-luxe riding boots with gorgeous leather detailing.
- her by ANTHONY VEER Abigail Boot – Budget option with a slight, western vibe.
- Vince Camuto Heze Boot – Western vibes in a chic, pull-on style boot.
- Iris & Ink Oakley Leather Knee Boots – A chunky style boot that you won’t want to take off. Plus, it zips!
- Sarah Flint The Perfect Stretch Boot 30 – Water-resistant suede boots so beautiful and functional, you’ll only have to make the investment this once.
8. Add A Long Cardigan To your List Of Fall wardrobe Essentials
A long cardigan is the coziest of fall wardrobe essentials to wrap up in on cool mornings or around that campfire on early fall evenings. Style yours with leggings, tall boots, and an oversized button-down for a casual chic look.
- Vince Draped Open-Front Cardigan – Seriously cozy and minimalist, this will take you from late fall through early spring.
- Salzburg SZG Cocoon Cardigan – Oversized, but sleek cardigan that can be styled open or closed.
- Quince Mongolian Cashmere Duster Cardigan Sweater – Drapey, duster cardigan to dress up or down.
- Goelia Solid Seamless Cashmere Cardigan – Simple v-neck, fitted cardigan in a lovely beige knit; will go with everything from jeans to skirts.
9. Black Faux Leather Leggings
Black faux leather leggings have become a timeless wardrobe staple recently due to their versatility. Style them up with a sweater dress or a tunic, and a pair of boots for a night out. Or go casual with a rib-knit tank, a long cardigan, and a pair of white sneakers. Either way, they’re edgy and chic, and look more sophisticated than a basic pair of leggings.
- ALLSAINTS Cora Leather Look High Rise Leggings – Super sleek and high rise, almost liquid leather looking.
- Honeylove Just Like Leather™ Legging – Slimming design (no horizontal seam in the front) that fits like shapewear with an ankle zipper.
- Marcella Kaya Leggings – Top-rated vegan leather leggings for comfort and quality!
- Athleta Gleam Tight – Not ready to commit to a true leather-like legging? Try these coated leggings that boast back pockets for a flattering and comfortable fit.
10. Ankle Boots Are A Fall Capsule Wardrobe Must-Have
Ankle boots are definitely the quintessential footwear of fall wardrobe essentials. Opt for a heel to style with bootcut jeans, wide-leg pants, or maxi skirts.
Related Post: 5 Petite Style Tips You Might Be Missing Out On
- Toteme Mid-Heel Ankle Boots – Part sock boot, part leather boot, sturdy kitten heel…super chic.
- Madewell The Dimes Kitten Heel Boot – Finally an affordable dupe for those gorgeous kitten-heel boots we’ve been seeing on the runways these past few years!
- By Far Black Sophia Ankle Boots – Slim-fit ankle boots with an almond heel and a zipper closure.
- Marc Fisher Ulani Heeled Bootie – These taller ankle boots are the epitome of timeless elegance with a pointed toe and a high, block heel.
- Vivaia Regina Square-toe Water Repellent Bootie – Walk all day in these comfortable sock boots with a structural heel.
11. Trench Coat
A trench coat is definitely the coat of choice during the fall season. Styled open, buttoned, or belted, it’s one of those pieces that elevates a casual outfit or pairs with a timeless capsule wardrobe.
Related Post: French Style Tips | 10 Essential Rules To Live By
- AYR The Espionage – Classically styled wardrobe staple in water-repellent, recycled cotton.
- Karen Millen Oversized Tab Detail Belted Longline Trench – Slightly oversized and comes with a waist belt for different styles.
- Bernardo Fashions On The Go Belted Trench Rain Coat – Looks like a trench coat, but functions like a raincoat; long style for tall ladies.
- Mango Double-button Trench Coat – Timeless water-repellant trench that comes with a belt.
- Marks & Spencer Pure Cotton Stormwear Longline Trench – A trench coat that comes with a removable hood…I mean sign me up for that, right?
12. Wool Hat
If you’re a hat lady, then you already know the most fun thing about changing seasons is the changing of hats! Add a stylish wool or felt hat to your fall wardrobe essentials for that extra bit of chic. They also effectively block the sun and add warmth to your head. Different styles include rancher, fedora, beret, and newsboy or cadet caps (my personal fave).
- Gigi Pip James Felt Cap – I live in a wool cap like this all fall season…perfect for casual looks, running errands, and concerts.
- American Hat Makers McQueen – click here – Classic, 100% wool short-brimmed fedora.
- Free People Wythe Leather Band Felt Hat – Wool-blended hat with a slight Western vibe, but chic enough for walks in the city.
- Carol Amper Six Way Felt Hat – Versatile cloche-style hat that can be worn in 6 different ways. I love a bucket hat for windy walks in the city!
- Free People Du Jour Beret – This wool beret is the next thing on my list to replace as it sadly was lost.
Don’t forget to stock up on basic layering pieces to complement your women’s fall wardrobe essentials! Check out this article for a list of the must-have items: 11 Basic Wardrobe Essentials You’ll Always Need
This post was all about Fall Wardrobe Essentials
- Winter Wardrobe Essentials: 7 Key Items That Will Keep You Warm and In Style
- 11 Amazing Summer Wardrobe Essentials You’ll Wear Year After Year